.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

The New Commoner

A broader form of capitalism called Proprietarianism offers wealth, enhanced lives and greater control of day-to-day living to common citizens. It offers the opportunity to build communities and relationships. The philosophy IS oriented toward business, but NOT necessarily big business. More "Mom & Pop" size businesses give more people more opportunities to conduct their own lives their own way.

Friday, February 11, 2005

employees

I have worked as an employee in large businesses and small. I have owned and operated my own business.
I prefer owning and operating my own small business.

A comment was made, "One good part of being an employee is when you work in a company you like, with people you like, doing things you like. I'm blessed with that right now."

I like that. It fits with my way of thinking that an important aspect of our lives must be the 'pursuit of happiness' and in the U.S. our jobs are often a big part of our lives. If that part is unhappy, then a large part of our life is unhappy.

Definitions of happiness may differ, but I think an important part of any definition must include the concept of low stress. Disliking one's job can certainly produce high levels of stress.

My experience suggests that you are more likely to find happiness on the job if you work in a smaller company. I'm not sure that human beings were made to function well in large groups. I'm certainly not made that way and I don't think I know anyone who is. Large groups often try to appear small. Why not avoid the pretense. If being small is better, then just be small.

For that reason and others, I advocate more small businesses. I think they offer more opportunities for people to find happiness in their work. How do we get more small businesses? By changing laws to make it easier for them to start and operate and to help make them profitable.

Digression --
Medieval Europe was governed through a feudal system. Land was owned by a king, duke, earl or some other royalty. Commoners tended the land and what they produced belonged to the landowner. The commoners lived on whatever the landowner allowed them to keep. The landowner also governed, regulated and protected the commoners. Commoners had no say in whatever the landowners did. A very one-sided system. The landowners usually did what was best for them not for the commoners.
A very similar system exists today in corporations. The larger the corporation, the more it seems to resemble medieval feudalism. Instead of kings and dukes, there are CEO's and department heads. Instead of knights there are lawyers. Instead of sorcerers there are researchers. Corporate mergers have replaced medieval alliances and corporate takeover struggles can resemble pitched battles or castle sieges. The workers have no say in system operation in either case and their subsistance is only what they are allowed to keep -- the bulk of their efforts go into enriching the royals. Nearly every aspect of the ancient feudal system has a counter part in today's corporate system.

The 'happy feudal serf' doesn't fit into many pictures I have of medieval Europe nor does that image fit often into my impressions of corporate feudalism. I advocate small and very small business as a means to dilute the concentration of power and money, distribute it more evenly to the people and give more people the opportunity to pursue happiness on their own terms.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home